The beginning of Lent is strongly connected with the Rite of Election which ushers in the Period of Purification and Enlightenment the time of preparation for the Sacraments of Initiation at the Easter Vigil. The Elect, those whose faith has been testified by their Godparents and elected by the bishop as ready for the Easter Sacraments, are prepared through a series of liturgies: the Scrutinies and the Presentations of the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer. When the Scrutinies are celebrated on the Sundays of Lent it is mandatory that the readings for Year A are used.
Where parishes either do not have Elect, or there are Catechumens who are delaying their full initiation, or there are Candidates who are ready for Reception around Easter the readings of the regular liturgical year are used.
Celebrating the Liturgy
- Celebrating the Rite of Election (pdf)
- Celebrating the Scrutinies (pdf)
- Celebrating the Presentations (pdf)
Reflecting on the Readings
The readings for the Sunday together with notes, questions for reflection and connections with the Catechism.
- Second Sunday of Lent (pdf)
- For Transfiguration and Art – see RCIA and Scripture section
- Third Sunday of Lent (pdf)
- Fourth Sunday of Lent (pdf)
- Fifth Sunday of Lent (pdf)
- Lent Year C – Overview of Readings (pdf)
- First Sunday of Lent C (pdf)
- Second Sunday of Lent C (pdf)
- Third Sunday of Lent C (pdf)
- Fourth Sunday of Lent C (pdf)
- Fifth Sunday of Lent C (pdf)
Seeking the Living God — Study material for RCIA Teams
- Rite of Election
- Period of Purification and Enlightenment
- looking ahead — Period of Mystagogy