Saint Thérèse of Liseaux, a saint of the 20th Century described prayer as:
For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.
There are many ways of praying and part of your journey of faith will be to find ways that suit you. Some people like prayer which is laid down with particular texts; others enjoy contemplating an image in silence. Prayer is part of everyday life for Catholics: offering thanks to God in the morning; offering the day to God in the evening. Prayer is not just about oneself — you can pray for other people either specific intentions for their needs or just asking God to care for them.
- Find a quiet time or place
- Light a candle
- Just sit peacefully, aware of yourself
- Ask for peace, whatever you need
- Give thanks for the good things in your life
- Think of your family and friends, place them in God’s tender care